Muslim Community Network Board Member Job Description
The Board of Directors of the Muslim Community Network is committed to furthering the organization’s mission by providing strategic direction, management of executive staff, oversight of the organization’s fiscal health, and the development of resources to support the organization’s growth. MCN’s Board of Directors is guided by the values and principles it shares with the organization’s mission, staff and community. These include (but are not limited to) valuing diversity, partnership and consensus-building; striving to build the political, social and economic capacity of Muslim New Yorkers — especially through reaching across borders to people of other faiths; and developing the next generation of social justice leadership.
- Be informed about the organization’s mission, goals, policies and services.
- Actively participate in all board meetings, discussions and events, paying careful attention to your duties of care, loyalty, confidentiality and act in accordance with MCN’s mission.
- Be well prepared for all board and committee meetings by reviewing the agenda and any supporting materials provided to you prior to the meeting.
- Be respectful and open to the potentially conflicting opinions and points-of-view of your fellow board members.
- Understand your duties as a Board Member, and facilitate the creation of a culture of accountability within the Board by holding your fellow Board Members accountable for their responsibility to the organization and its community.
- Be available for emergency conference calls pertaining to the well being of the organization when the need arises
- Make every effort to be available for emergency conference call pertaining to the well being of the organization when the need arises.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and in executing plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Assure that the organization has short term (1 year-2 years) and long-range strategies (2 years-5 years) that allow MCN to achieve its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the civic engagement of New York Muslim communities.
- Regularly communicate with Board members and staff. Make every effort to respond to Board correspondence and action items within three working days.
- Devote at least 3 hours a week, or more, to responding to board emails and promoting MCN events, fundraisers and projects.
- Attend at least one event, either within the Muslim or non-Muslim community, or that relates to a component of our work, per month with the intention of sharing MCN’s mission and work with like-minded organizations and individuals.
- Serve on at least one Board committee.
- Support board fundraising efforts by cultivating potential donors, networking on behalf of MCN, forwarding contacts of potential donors to the Fundraising Committee, or volunteering to host and/or identify a host for fundraising events. Assist in MCN’s annual fundraiser.
- Make an annual donation to the organization at a level commensurate with your resources.
- Fulfill your fiduciary responsibilities, including reading, understanding and monitoring the financial statements and audit reports provided to you.
- Provide the organization’s Executive Director with timely evaluations of their performance and consistent support for their role within the organization.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he implements MCN’s strategic plan
- Review and assist in the creation of outcomes and metrics for evaluating MCN’s impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
- Approve MCN’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions.
- Assist the ED and President of the Board in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partner with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Represent MCN to stakeholders; act as an ambassador for the organization and speak publicly on its behalf
- Ensure MCN’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities we serve
If you are interested in becoming a board member, please send your resume to MCN’s Executive Director at Christina.Tasca@mcnny.org. Your resume will be referred to the board of directors and upon review, you may then be invited to submit a formal application.