Community Engagement Coordinator (Part- Time)
Muslim Community Network (MCN) seeks a highly talented and motivated Community Engagement Coordinator to lead and implement the Community Engagement program in the New York City metro area.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will serve approximately 20 hours per week and will be tasked with facilitating leadership and interfaith community building activities centered on shared values and leveraging these community partnerships to participate in calls to action that transform into public policy. The Coordinator will develop a community directory, relaunch MCN’s Connecting Communities program and lead MCN’s participation in faith-based coalitions with clergy and community faith leaders working towards protection of religious freedom and hate crimes reduction and improving the quality of life of New York’s most vulnerable.
- Coordinate logistics and lead outreach and marketing for the Annual September 11th Children of Abraham Peace Walk and the Annual Interfaith Peace Feast in November;
- Conduct one-on- one meetings with existing MCN partners and potential Faith in New York leaders, clergy, and influential external leaders;
- Conduct a community needs assessment of local Muslim, Jewish and Christian houses of worship and faith- based community organizations and produce a community directory of resources based on the needs;
- Provide organizing trainings for the faith leaders, clergy, and community members in the principles and strategies of faith-based community organizing;
- Conduct outreach, research, and strategic planning leading to large community action meetings that impact systemic change;
- Create and deepen relationships with staff from strategic partners in community organizations, academia, labor, and public policy organizations;
- Meet on a regular basis with Executive Director and Board Chair to shadow, plan and evaluate work progress;
- Relevant community organizing experience (faith, community, electoral), particularly within issues related to job development, affordable housing, organizing and/or civic engagement;
- Experience working with diverse religious congregations and racial/ethnic communities with a particular emphasis on Muslim and Jewish partnerships;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as part of a strong staff team.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, Google docs, social media platforms, and CRM software, e.g. Salesforce.
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members across religion, race, gender, age, language, class and experience;
- Cultural competence and experience working with faith based communities and/or communities of color on social justice or service based issues;
- Capacity to think strategically and analytically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting a community;
- Strong research skills, particularly around issues of development and awareness of local impact of global politics;
- Prepared to lead and desires to be in deep partnership with others (community leaders, staff, allies, people with power)
- Ability to speak at least one other language, preferably Arabic, Hebrew, French, or Urdu.
- Experience working with youth a major plus!
About Muslim Community Network
The Muslim Community Network identifies and cultivates the leadership skills of all Americans to fully participate in the social landscape.
MCN’s strategies include creating strong relationships with other faith-based communities; articulating and advancing an understanding of the need for citizen engagement; developing the skills and ability of our community to affect change; and building the next generation’s identity and capacity as leaders.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should email a cover letter describing their interest and qualifications, resume and a writing sample no longer than three pages to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Type YOUR NAME – COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR in the subject line. Please ensure that you include all required materials. Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.