Program Coordinator (Full-Time)
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the Community Education program and the MY NYC youth leadership development program which build and cultivate leaders across generations to fully participate in the democratic process.
He or she will be responsible for designing and delivering workshops that build participants’ skills to become leaders in effectively solving community problems and will facilitate civics education presentations and panel discussions that foster a deep commitment to civic engagement. The Program Coordinator promotes and inspires confidence, curiosity, and leadership skills, helping community members to develop the tools necessary to become civically conscious members of society.
The position is full-time and the Program Coordinator must be available some nights and occasional weekends when programs, workshops, and events occur. He or she will report to the Program Director.
MCN is dedicated to using civic education and leadership development to shape the public narrative about what it means to be Muslim in America. MCN’s programs promote informed participation in civil society and the democratic process through Civic Education, Leadership Development and Diversity Education. For more information about our work, please visit our website at www.MCNNY.org
- Design and conduct civics education workshops and the role of faith communities that promote informed participation in the democratic process at local mosques and community centers;
- Develop and implement leadership development training to build valuable leadership skills, such as root cause analysis, community organizing and conflict resolution; develop participants’ confidence and identity as leaders.
- Deliver MCN’s MY NYC youth leadership development curriculum to its after-school program participants; Coordinate with parents, school personnel, and students to facilitate the completion of students’ social justice projects.
- Work with MCN staff to coordinate program logistics and content and to ensure effective and timely implementation of program objectives.
- Connect with community leaders, professionals, organizations and other stakeholders to foster and maintain positive relationships and recruit participation as guest speakers and to advertise the Community Education programs.
- Knowledge of the democratic process, government, and strategies for building civic engagement.
- 2+ years experience in running programs and workshops. Experience working with high school aged youth strongly preferred.
- Excellent organization and time management skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills.
- Able to work independently and provide program updates and deliverables with limited supervision.
- Comfort in a fast-paced, growing organization.
- Minimum B.A. degree in Political Science, Law, or related field required; M.A. degree welcome.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, Google docs, social media platforms.
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members across religion, race, gender, age, language, class and experience;
- Cultural competence and knowledge of/ sensitivity to faith communities and communities of color on social justice issues;
- Experience in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, Get Out the Vote or similar initiatives;
- Ability to speak at least one other language, preferably Arabic, French, or Hindi/ Urdu.
Salary is competitive based on skills and experience and includes a generous benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should email a cover letter describing their interest and qualifications, resume and a brief writing sample no longer than three pages to email@example.com. Type YOUR NAME – PROGRAM COORDINATOR in the subject line. Please ensure that you include all required materials. Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.
July 05, 2018
May 16, 2018