Executive Director – Full Time
July 23rd, 2018
Executive Director (Full- Time)
The Search Committee is seeking a dynamic Executive Director with strong interpersonal and leadership skills who is passionate about civic education and leadership development to lead the organization forward in its exciting new phase. This position is based in New York City.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for MCN’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of the field, programs, operations, strategic plans and business plans.
The Executive Director may often work non-standard work hours such as evenings and weekends to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events.
MCN is currently accepting applications for the Executive Director position who will be able to lead the organization into the next chapter.
Leadership and Management:
- Provide leadership to staff by creating a positive work environment and promoting the professional growth of all staff members through coaching, mentoring and training opportunities;
- Recruit, hire, and conduct regular performance evaluations for all staff and discharge staff members as necessary;
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization;
- Develop, manage and continuously evaluate MCN’s programs;
- Maintain official records while complying with federal, state and local regulations;
- Oversee the timely completion of federal, state and local IRS filings;
- Communicate with the Board of Directors by providing all information necessary for the Board to make informed decisions which may include financial reports, program reports, strategic goal progress, risk management and compliance reports.
Finance and Fundraising:
- Develop the annual budget and monthly financial statements which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization;
- Ensure programs and projects operate within the approved budget, maximize available resources, and maintain a positive financial position;
- Help create fundraising plans in coordination with the Board fundraising committee; oversee the execution of fundraising events, campaigns, donor cultivation activities and develop other resources necessary to support MCN’s mission;
- Oversee foundation support and NYC Council Discretionary Funding
Communications and Brand Development:
- Establish strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, cultivate positive relationships with funders, government agencies, political and community leaders;
- Serve as the face of MCN;
- Represent the organization as the resident expert on issues and trends impacting our constituents, provide expertise on panels, working groups and in the media;
- Advance MCN’s brand by ensuring consistency with organization branding guidelines and messaging goals in the dissemination of publicity materials (e.g. newsletters, program advertisements, social media, etc.).
Organization Mission and Strategy:
- Lead the execution of strategic, operational and fundraising plans set forth by the Board of Directors and ensure compliance with relevant policies authorized by the Board.
- Ensure program excellence through rigorous program evaluation, quantify financial status, administration, fundraising, communications, and overall in place systems;
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Undergraduate degree, a post-graduate degree in business administration, education, or nonprofit management or a relevant discipline will be considered;
- Nonprofit experience; ability to reference specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive communicator with excellent interpersonal skills a must;
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, Google Drive and project management platforms, e.g. Slack, Asana;
- Proficient in CRM/ grant management software, e.g. Salesforce, Blackbaud, Pipedrive.
- Strong relational skills with an ability to connect, engage, inspire community members regardless of religion, race, gender, age, language, class, and experience;
- Cultural competence: knowledge of or sensitivity to faith communities and communities of color on social justice issues;
- Experience working with diverse populations within the NYC Muslim community, familiarity with trends affecting local, national and international Muslim communities.
Competitive plus benefits package.
MCN is dedicated to using civic education simultaneously with leadership development to shape and expand the public narrative about what it means to be Muslim in the United States of America.
MCN’s strategies include creating strong relationships with faith-based communities; advancing an understanding of the need for citizen engagement; developing the skills of the community to affect change; building the community’s identity and strengthening the capacity of future leaders.
Applications will be accepted until August 17th, 2018. Interviews will be conducted starting August 23rd through September 1st.
How to Apply
To apply, candidates should email a cover letter describing their interest and qualifications, resume and a writing sample no longer than three pages to: HR@mcnny.org . Type YOUR NAME – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR in the subject line. Please ensure that you include all required materials. Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.
June 20, 2018
July 05, 2018
May 16, 2018