MCN plays an active role in coalitions including New York Neighbors for American Values, Muslim Holidays Coalition, Prepare New York, Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition, among many others. Through these coalitions, we engage in social justice advocacy work through letter writing/signing campaigns, press conferences, rallies, vigils and meeting with local officials. Along with other Muslim organizations, we also sponsor iftar dinners with borough presidents and NYC’s comptroller each year.
April 25- MCN signed on to an open letter to Congress calling on them to reject the wall, keep ICE out of schools, protect funding for public education and Invest in public schools.
January 9- MCN signed on to a coalition letter with civil rights groups expressing concern about Senator Jeff Sessions’ qualification and ability to serve as the next U.S. Attorney General. Read the full letter here.
October 13- Coalition Letter to Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office regarding assault of Sikh community member, Maang Singh Khalsa. Full letter here.
Our past coalition building and work includes:
- Board President Debbie Almontaser’s appointment to Public Advocate Leticia James’ Taskforce on Hate Crimes comprised of leaders from the Jewish, Muslim, and other faith communities will be charged to make recommendations to mitigate hate crimes impacting Jewish and Muslim communities.
- Co-founding and remaining on the steering committee of New York Neighbors for American Values (www.newyorkneighbors.org), a coalition formed over the summer of 2010 to support religious freedom and tolerance in the aftermath of the Park 51 attacks.
- Mobilizing local support for building community houses of worship in Staten Island, Sheepshead Bay, Bridgewater and at Park51.
- Ongoing dialogue with the FBI and law enforcement about racial, ethnic and religious profiling as part of Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition.
- Applying continued pressure for accountability on the New York Police Department for their showing of the Third Jihad, an Islamophobic film, at a cadet training in the summer of 2010 and for the religious profiling they engaged in as reported on by the AP in 2011/2012 as part of Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition.