On Tuesday, February 10, 2015, Deah Shaddy Barakat (23), his wife Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha (21) and her sister Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha (19) were found shot and killed in their apartment in Chapel Hill, NC. The loss of Deah, Yusor & Razan was devastating not just to their community in North Carolina but to the nation, as these three activists continuously gave selflessly to their community and were exemplar models. Whether it be the homeless community of Durham, NC or the Syrian refugees based in Turkey, these three leaders were coordinating ways to help and serve.
Deah’s last facebook post, dated January 29th, was of an evening where he and other selfless individuals gave food and free dental supplies to over 75 homeless people and he used the hashtag: #Downtownsmiles. In honor of and to continue their legacy of feeding those in need, there will be a National Canned Food Drive where all collected food donations will be given on behalf of Deah, Yusor & Razan. Through this coordinated national service effort & drive, we hope to #FeedTheirLegacy.
Muslim Community Network and Judson Memorial Church will be collecting canned goods as part of the New York City Chapter of the National #FeedTheirLegacy Campaign whose goal is to collect 100,000 food items nationwide.
FEED THEIR LEGACY FOOD DRIVE – New York City
Date: February 13th through March 28th
Muslim Community Network Office/ Judson Memorial Church
239 Thompson Street
NY, NY 10012 (across the street from the ICNYU)
Drop-Off Hours: 10:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday
*Please contact Christina at Christina@mcnny.calliope.consulting to arrange an alternative drop-off time if you are unable to do so between these times.*
Contact: Christina Tasca at firstname.lastname@example.org
The drive will benefit the Muslim Women’s Institute for Research and Development (MWIRD) food pantry in the Bronx.
Needed non-perishable items include:
● Canned proteins (tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter) peanuts, etc. No meat, please!
● Canned fruits in their own juices or light syrup (pineapples, peaches, and pears)
● 100% Fruit juices (all sizes including juice boxes)
● Grains (pasta, whole wheat pasta, rice, brown rice, macaroni and cheese) bags of beans: black, pink, kidney, etc.;
● Condiments (tomato based sauces, light soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, light salad dressings) Goya powder condiments; salt; sugar (brown)
● Low sodium/ No salt added canned vegetables (mixed, green beans, corn) beans: black, pink, kidney, etc.
● Multigrain cereal (Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Grape-Nuts, Raisin Bran)
*Please note that food items must be halal- they may not contain meat or alcohol ingredients.*