If you’re looking to join the team at MCN, you’ve landed at the right place.
See below or visit our Idealist page, for all the latest, open positions.
Careers at MCN offer opportunities to grow and develop your professional skills while making an immediate difference in our community. Whether it is through directly working with our youth, community outreach, or administrative service, see how you can help strengthen our community and shape your future by viewing our current career opportunities.
Civic Education and Advocacy Program Coordinator (Full-Time)
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the civic education and advocacy program at MCN, a program that aims to build the civic leadership of Muslim New Yorkers and advocates on issues important to the Muslim community in our city and nation.
He or she will be responsible for designing and facilitating civic education presentations and panel discussions that foster a deep commitment to civic engagement in the Muslim community. He or she will play a critical role in organizing the Muslim community around issues important to them including but not limited to, voter education/registration, hate crimes prevention; halal food campaign for NYC public schools; fighting against Islamophobia and racism, religious diversity educational campaigns, NYPD surveillance, and cultural sensitivity training. He/She will participate in calls to action that transform into public policy; conducting civic education workshops in mosques throughout the city and connecting with the Muslim community where they meet. The Program Coordinator promotes and inspires confidence, curiosity, and leadership skills, helping community members to develop the tools necessary to become civically conscious members of society.
The position is Full-Time and the Program Coordinator must be available some nights and occasional weekends when programs, workshops, and events occur. He or she will report to the Executive Director.
● Design and conduct civic education workshops and the role of faith communities that promote informed participation in the democratic process at local mosques and community centers;
● Take part in community organizing initiatives related to Get out the Vote work, voter registration drives, voter education work, etc.
● Participate in advocacy campaigns and initiatives at the local, state, and national levels to elevate MCN’s advocacy positions on issues pertaining to the Muslim community.
● Work with MCN staff to coordinate program logistics and content and to ensure effective and timely implementation of program objectives.
● Connect with community leaders, professionals, organizations, and other stakeholders to foster and maintain positive relationships and recruit participation as guest speakers, and to advertise the Community Education programs.
● Provide advice to the Executive Director on issues that are coming up and could impact the Muslim community.
● Being up to date on all topics and issues impacting the Muslim community on the local and national levels.
● Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director – i.e. gala planning help; volunteer coordination; project evaluation and progress tracking.
● Strong knowledge and experience in community organizing, public policy processes, and advocacy campaigns
● Minimum 2+ years experience in running programs and workshops and experience developing and delivering relevant curricula, workshops, activities.
● Team player and a good attitude, and comfort in public speaking
● Experience working with diverse religious congregations and racial/ethnic communities.
● Excellent communication and organization, and time management skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines, with a value for accountability and transparency.
● Strong written and oral communication skills.
● Ability to design program flyers and posting on social media.
● Able to work independently and provide program updates and deliverables with limited supervision, as well as part of a strong team.
● Comfort in a fast-paced, growing organization.
● Comfort is in the community and on the ground and building relationships with diverse community groups.
● Proficient with MS Office Suite, Google docs, social media platforms.
● Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Social Work, or similar.
● Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members across religion, race, gender, age, language, class and experience;
● Cultural competence and knowledge of/ sensitivity to faith communities and communities of color on social justice issues;
● Capacity to think strategically and analytically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting a community;
● Experience in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, Get Out the Vote, or similar initiatives;
● Ability to speak at least one other language, preferably Arabic, French, or Hindi/ Urdu.
Salary & Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $45,000. The benefits package includes – fully paid monthly metro card; employer-paid health insurance (after 30 days); flexible work schedule (currently remote due to COVID-19); reduced work schedule during Ramadan; training opportunities, and more.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Type YOUR NAME – ADVOCACY PROGRAM COORDINATOR in the subject line. Please ensure that you include all required materials. Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.